If you are considering an abortion and the option of self-managing the procedure in the privacy of your own home is appealing to you, read this article to learn how the process works and the steps you can take to protect your health.
How Can You Get an At-Home Abortion?
You can get the abortion pill prescribed after completing a telehealth consultation online. Once you have the prescription, you can have the medication shipped to your home or pick it up at your local pharmacy.
You May Not Qualify for the Abortion Pill
According to the Mayo Clinic, some conditions that may disqualify you from using the abortion pill are:
- Your pregnancy is too far along
- You have an ectopic pregnancy
- You have an intrauterine device (IUD)
- Certain medical conditions include bleeding disorders, heart or blood vessel diseases, uncontrolled seizures, etc.
- Take a blood thinner or certain steroid medications
- Can’t make follow-up visits to your doctor
The Abortion Pill Comes with Risks
The Mayo Clinic lists the following possible risks of medical abortion:
- An ongoing unwanted pregnancy if the procedure doesn’t work
- Heavy and prolonged bleeding
- Digestive system discomfort
- Incomplete abortion (which would require a follow-up surgery)
If your only consultation before an abortion procedure is online, this forgoes the essential health screening of an ultrasound. This important scan confirms the age and viability of the pregnancy, which is important because up to 20% of known pregnancies end in natural miscarriage.
What to Expect if You Take the Abortion Pill at Home
If you take the abortion pill at home, it’s normal to expect heavy vaginal bleeding and uterine cramping. Be sure you have access to immediate medical attention if you are considering a self-managed abortion.
The first step to take when considering any abortion is scheduling a pre-abortion screening. In addition to learning how far along you are in your pregnancy and if it’s viable (growing), our screening confirms whether or not the pregnancy is ectopic, which should receive immediate medical attention.
We offer free and confidential pre-abortion screening at our clinic, as well as consultations for you to ask questions about the pregnancy process and learn about your options. Contact us today!