What is a pre-abortion screening?
A “pre-abortion screening” typically refers to the medical evaluation and assessment performed for women who are considering an abortion, have scheduled an abortion, or have ordered the abortion pills by mail. The purpose of this screening is to ensure the woman’s health, gather necessary information about her medical history, and determine pregnancy viability based on factors like the gestational age of the pregnancy, miscarriage, and any pre-existing medical conditions.
What does it include?
The specific components of a pre-abortion screening may vary depending on the healthcare provider and local regulations. However, it often involves the following:
- Medical history: The woman’s medical history is reviewed to identify any pre-existing health conditions, allergies, previous pregnancies, surgeries, or medications that may impact the procedure.
- Physical examination: A physical examination is conducted to assess the woman’s overall health and identify any factors that might influence the abortion process.
- Pregnancy confirmation: The healthcare provider confirms the pregnancy through a pregnancy test or ultrasound (or both) to determine the gestational age accurately.
- Ultrasound examination: An ultrasound is performed to determine viability vs. miscarriage, estimation of how many weeks you are into the pregnancy, and due date
- Blood tests: Depending on the healthcare provider’s protocols, blood tests may be conducted to check the woman’s blood type, Rh factor, and screening for certain infections or diseases.
- Counseling: Pre-abortion counseling is an essential part of the screening process. It involves discussing the different options available, potential risks and complications, aftercare instructions, contraception, and addressing any questions or concerns the woman may have about her options.
- Informed consent: The healthcare provider explains the details of an abortion procedure, its possible risks, and complications. This allows the woman to give her informed consent before proceeding further.
How can I schedule a pre-abortion screening?
It’s important to note that abortion laws and regulations vary significantly from state to state, and in some places, there may be legal requirements for pre-abortion counseling or mandatory waiting periods before the procedure can be performed. Additionally, individual healthcare providers may have their specific protocols for pre-abortion screening. If you or someone you know is considering an abortion, it’s crucial to consult with a qualified healthcare professional who can provide accurate information and appropriate care. Our medical professionals are caring, compassionate advocates who want to make sure you have all the information you need to make an informed and thoughtful decision that is in line with your beliefs and values.
Bella Medical Services provides a free and confidential pre-abortion screening appointment for women who are considering an abortion, have scheduled an abortion, or have ordered the abortion pills by mail. We understand that this can be a stressful situation, ending in a powerful and personal decision. Bella acts as a neutral party, offering information so that you can choose what option is best for you. This, we believe, will empower you to make the best possible decision for your future. You do not have to walk this journey alone. Please schedule your pre-abortion screening today.