What is a Pregnancy Center?
Pregnancy centers, also known as pregnancy resource centers or crisis pregnancy centers, are organizations that provide support and services to individuals facing unplanned pregnancies. These centers typically offer information, counseling, and resources to help women and their partners explore their options and make informed decisions about their pregnancy. These services are typically provided at no cost to those being served.
What do they offer?
Pregnancy centers often operate independently and specific services may vary depending on the center. Some common offerings include:
- Medical pregnancy testing: May provide lab quality pregnancy tests to determine if a woman is pregnant, at no cost to her.
- Obstetrical ultrasound: Trained or volunteer medically licensed professionals often perform an ultrasound to confirm the pregnancy, how far along the woman is in weeks and days from the last menstrual period to estimate the delivery date, confirm there is a heartbeat (versus possible miscarriage), and sometimes rule out an ectopic pregnancy.
- Well-woman exams: Check-ups for women may be offered, which include a physical exam, breast exam, and a pelvic exam/ Pap smear (cervical cancer screening).
- STD/STI Testing: Pregnancy centers may provide free testing and treatment for women/men for these common STD/STI’s: chlamydia, gonorrhea, trichomoniasis and genital warts. We do not currently test for syphilis, HIV, herpes or hepatitis. It is one of the most important things you can do to protect your reproductive health.
- Options counseling: Trained staff or volunteers may offer confidential counseling to discuss various options such as parenting, adoption, and abortion, while providing information on the potential risks and benefits of each option.
- Material assistance: Some pregnancy centers may offer practical support by providing items like diapers, baby clothes, formula, and other necessary baby supplies.
- Parenting Classes: Mentoring programs may be offered to meet moms and/or dads where they are in their journey through parenting, providing information on strategies to effectively co-parent and parent alone. They are matched up with a mentor who will support them and be their teacher before and after delivery.
- Medical referrals: They may refer women to medical professionals for prenatal care or other medical services related to pregnancy.
- Adoption assistance: Pregnancy centers may provide information and resources to individuals considering adoption, including connecting them with adoption agencies or support groups.
- Post-abortion support: Some centers may offer counseling or support groups for individuals who have experienced abortion in the past and may be seeking emotional healing or guidance.
Are all Pregnancy Centers the same?
It’s important to note that not all pregnancy centers are medically licensed or regulated. Some centers have faced criticism for providing misleading or inaccurate information about reproductive health and abortion. It’s important to do your research and choose a reputable facility and source of information when seeking guidance on pregnancy-related matters.
At Bella Medical Clinic, we focus on women and men facing an unplanned pregnancy. Our goal is to offer confidential, non-threatening, compassionate and individualized consultation and services. All services are at no cost to our patients/clients.
Over the years, we have helped hundreds of women with their physical, emotional and educational needs, empowering them to make informed choices regarding pregnancy. All patients are served without regard to age, race, income, nationality, religious affiliation, disability, etc.
Our medical team of licensed healthcare professionals consist of an OB/GYN Doctor, Nurse Practitioners, and RN’s that can help answer your questions. Schedule your free appointment today and put your health and safety first.
If you are struggling with an unplanned pregnancy, before you make any decisions regarding your pregnancy, you should get a pregnancy test and ultrasound at no cost to you. This will confirm your pregnancy and tell you how far along you are in your pregnancy and alert you to any potential complications.
At our clinic, we offer ultrasounds at no cost to you and our licensed medical professionals can answer any questions you may have about pregnancy or abortion. We also can share more information with you about your pregnancy options.
You do not have to walk this journey alone. Please contact us today to schedule your confidential consultation.